Job DescriptionSummary of the Position:
Two postdoctoral fellow positions (one for cardiovascular physiologist and another for molecular biologist) are immediately available in Dr. Ayako Makino's laboratory at University of California, San Diego. Our research focuses on coronary vascular complications in diabetes and pulmonary hypertension, particularly mitochondrial function, calcium handling in the endoplasmic reticulum, and cell-cell communication in endothelial and smooth muscle cells.
Minimum Skills Required for the Cardiovascular Physiology Position:
The candidate must have at least one of the following skills (#1-3).
1. Conduct isometric tension measurements in mouse coronary and pulmonary arteries using a wire myograph
2. Make a cardiac ischemia/reperfusion model in mice
3. Evaluate cardiac function using Millar system [e.g., LVSP, RVSP, dP/dt, EF]
Minimum Skills Required for the Molecular Biology Position:
The candidate must have at least one of the following skills (#4-5).
4. General molecular biological techniques with analytical skills of next-generation sequencing and/or single-cell genomic data
5. General molecular biological techniques with gene cloning in viral vector and generation of adenoviral- and Adeno-associated virus
• Isolate vascular endothelial/smooth muscle cells from mouse heart and lung
• Measure coronary flow reserve using the ultrasound system
• Perform fluorescence microscopy experiments to measure Ca2+ and ROS concentration in cytoplasm and mitochondria
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and implement research protocols and conduct experiments
• Data acquisition and analysis, grant and manuscript preparation, and presentation of findings at weekly lab meetings
• Coordinate with other investigators for lab research, including maintaining the function of lab equipment, managing the lab research record (including methodological approaches and animal protocols), and maintaining transgenic mouse colonies
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences, M.D., or equivalent degree. Three or more years of relevant experience in a research environment are required. We are seeking a postdoctoral candidate who is highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals.
According to UCSD standards/regulations
Special Instructions to Applicant:
The applicants should send a C.V., a letter of interest, and the names and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information about Dr. Makino’s research, please visit https://profiles.ucsd.edu/ayako.makino .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.