The Ball State University Upper Division Advising Center is seeking a Coordinator to join its team. The Upper Division Advising Center Coordinator will supervise and work directly with Academic Advisors and serve as a liaison to Department Chairs and Deans. Along with employee supervision, the Coordinator will also have the responsibility of verifying degrees, processing the evaluation of transfer credits, and the overall maintenance of degree integrity for assigned majors. While student interaction is limited for the Coordinator, there is still the opportunity to work directly with a small load of students pursuing a general studies degree.
Job Function:Coordinate and manage the advising activities of the departments assigned to the Center. Supervise a team of upper division academic advisors; manage the transfer equivalency process and initial enrollment process for assigned transfer students; certify degree awards for assigned students.
Minimum Education:Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
Minimum Experience:Three years of college-level academic advising experience.
Preferred Experience:Supervisory experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign and review work, orient and train employees, and make recommendations in all areas related to supervision, including but not limited to interviewing and selection, compensation, discipline, performance appraisal, and training and career development of all direct reports.
- Serve as resource to provide guidance to advisors regarding advising information, procedures, and techniques.
- Lead or serve on committees, task forces, working groups, or special projects that directly impact the vision and function of the upper division advising center as assigned; participate as needed in appropriate admission and orientation events.
- Participate in the development and design of training materials and resources for advisors. Provide necessary training and development for advisors.
- Advise undergraduate students pursuing, but not limited to, general studies degrees such as the Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) Degree and the Associate in Arts Degree in General Studies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Hire, train, and supervise a team of professional upper division academic advisors; serve as liaison to department chairpersons and deans in issues related to advising services for upper division students with majors housed in their departments.
- Facilitate the assessment process for academic advising services within assigned departments, including the implementation of appropriate assessment strategies, analysis of student and departmental data related to advising, and dissemination of assessment results to appropriate campus constituencies. Make recommendations for process improvement based upon analysis/evaluation.
- Process undergraduate applications for degrees and certificates of all assigned majors; certify all undergraduate degrees and certificates of assigned majors.
- Manage the DegreeWorks exceptions process for students in assigned majors.
- Manage the assignment of advising caseloads during upper division advisor vacancies.
- Conduct official transfer credit evaluation of assigned undergraduate department courses for the purposes of credit transfer and appropriate course placement; build transfer course equivalencies in the Banner database.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.