Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY: The administrative assistant is responsible for the clerical, organizational and administrative functions necessary to support the natural sciences departments’ roles in furthering the mission and goals of the College. The Administrative Assistant assists the supervisor or other personnel with the department’s administrative activities, stores and retrieves information, and may serve as the first point of contact for the department with the public, other departments, students, faculty, and staff.
1. Act as department receptionist in providing friendly and efficient customer service by answering the phone, responding to emails, and greeting faculty, students, staff, and visitors
2. Maintain a clean and orderly work environment; provide daily support for faculty and staff (sort mail, make coffee, etc.).
3. Keep office equipment (e.g. copy machine) maintained and ready for use; keep department supplies in stock and in order.
4. Keep track of the office budget and order office supplies; provide Department Chairs with detail expenses for office related budget.
5. Coordinate classroom scheduling and equipment/supply needs.
6. Set-up department meetings and assist with department events; i.e., take care of refreshments.
7. Assist with search efforts for new faculty and staff (i.e. helping to coordinate visits, scheduling meetings, etc.).
8. Assist with orientation for new faculty and staff (i.e. how to get nametag, access e-mail, obtain office keys, etc.).
9. Assist faculty with textbook orders and similar needs.
10. Assist faculty and staff with program receptions, mailings, etc.
11. Send e-mails to faculty regarding issues related to curriculum, meetings, seminars, etc.
12. Prepare time sheets for staff and student workers; collect time sheets from program coordinators for campus workers.
13. Assist Department Chairs with clerical needs to include filing system.
14. Prepare purchase orders: check catalogues, the web, etc. to find best pricing, send purchase order to Materials Manager to verify, assign budget, and obtain Department Chair signature, then send to Business Affairs.
15. Assist with inventory of chemicals: record when materials arrive and remove from inventory when they are depleted.
16. Review invoices and their postings to assure that proper accounts are being charged and communicate information to Department Chair.
17. Work with other departments and offices on campus to provide necessary services.
18. Process all work orders for the building and follow up as necessary.
19. Check labs and classrooms to ensure they are locked at 5:00pm.
20. Contribute to the success of the Natural Sciences department performing all other duties as needed to drive the vision, fulfill the mission, and abide by the values of the College.
About our ideal candidate
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. High school diploma or equivalent required.
2. 2 years previous experience in an administrative support preferably with a higher education institution.
3. Must be proficient with MicroSoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
4. Must have strong written and oral communication skills as well as a drive to be a motivated customer support champion.
5. Must have strong organizational skills including the ability to multi-task.
1. A major part of the job is performed while sitting, although the work does require standing, walking and the lifting and carrying of objects up to 25 pounds, with or without assistance.
2. Extensive use of computer systems including keyboard and monitors.
3. Near visual acuity necessary for reading computer screens and reading printed materials.
4. Ability to listen carefully to others while on the phone or in person.
1. Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
2. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to the typical office environment.
3. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
4. Assignment is campus-based and not intended for work from home or remote work.