The Academic Advisor for Journalism will assist the departments in endeavors related to student academic success. The advisor will guide students in understanding their degree requirements, academic policies, university procedures, and the university resources available to make informed decisions regarding their degree program. Academic Advising within University College at Ball State University is uniquely organized to serve the needs of first-year students and upper-division students. The dynamic mix of advisors and programs in each unit overlap and collaborate in activities beneficial to students and colleagues alike with an opportunity to participate in professional networks such as the Indiana Academic Advising Network (IAAN).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with assigned load of approximately 400 sophomore, junior, and senior undergraduate students to provide information and guidance on academic issues such as course planning and registration, major/minor specific requirements, and academic progress.
- Be knowledgeable of current university academic requirements and teacher education policies and procedures as outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog and in departmental handbooks.
- Maintain individualized four-year degree completion plans for each student as mandated by the State of Indiana and as required for BSU academic systems’ functions.
- Train current students and crossover freshmen students to interpret Degree Works audit and consult individualized completion plans.
- Utilize AVISO software to communicate with students, monitor student progress, generate reports, send alerts to Retention and other offices, provide resource referrals to student, and maintain record of advising documents.
- Work collaboratively with departmental chairpersons and faculty to provide efficient advising services regarding course substitutions, special permissions, and registration information. Attend curriculum review committee meetings.
- Promote strategies for student success, employing all available resources including Learning Center, Writing Program, Career Center, and R.I.S.E. program/seminar (Reaching to Inspire Student Excellence).
- Participate in Freshman Orientation summer sessions. Participate in appropriate admissions and orientation events for prospective students. Work collaboratively, as requested, with appropriate academic areas for evaluation of transfer course equivalencies.
- Respond to excel reports (various students’ status) as requested by supervisor/director. Create advising information reports as requested using Banner, Argos, Aviso, and Degree Works.
- Participate in and contribute in professional development activities and associations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.