The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
Novel technologies, including JAX, numba and GPU-accelerated numpy, are rising in prominence in the high performance computing space. ALCF’s data science group seeks a post-doctoral appointee to port and develop software into portable, interoperable applications in python using high performance python packages. The successful candidate will collaborate with diverse colleagues and researchers from the data science team and with computer scientists and domain scientists within and outside Argonne. The candidate will be expected to present and publish their work at major conferences and journals.
In this role, you will:
- Create workloads and benchmarks to ensure portable and performant application of data science workloads across a variety of hardware systems, including Polaris and Aurora.
- Collaborate with domain scientists to improve and enable their workloads on highly accelerated systems.
- Explore python interoperability practices, including GPU preprocessing and copy-free data movement between frameworks such as numpy and tensorflow.
- Expect your work to span a wide variety of science domains and to be at the forefront of data-centric computing.
- A recent Ph.D. + 0-3 years of experience in computer science, computational science, or a related field
- Extensive experience with Python programming and key libraries (JAX, Numba, NumPy, SciPy, TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Experience with GPU computing
- Experience related to parallel algorithms, MPI, and just-in-time compilation
- Ability to quickly assimilate new subject areas and effectively interact with experts in those areas
- Strong written and communication skills
- Expereince and skills in interdisciplinary teams involving mathematicians, computer scientists, and discipline scientists
- Good publication record, preferably including first-author publication(s)
- Collaborative skills including the ability to work well with other laboratories and universities, supercomputer centers, and industry
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.