The Ball State Department of Theatre and Dance offers eight diverse curricular options that develop and nurture each student’s creativity, curiosity, and collaborative skills. We are always growing and changing, seeking new ways to inspire our students to be thinkers, responsible citizens, and motivated artists who will make a difference in creating the next generation’s voice. We are seeking collegial, collaborative professional personnel with excellent communication and organizational skills to join us.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign and review work; orient and train staff and students; make recommendations as to interviewing and selection, performance appraisal, and discipline; maintain salary budgets.
- Plan, prepare, and maintain costume and makeup budgets for all productions.
- Teach, supervise, and mentor all students from the T223 costuming class and other classes as assigned.
- Attend production meetings and dress rehearsals with designers and advise, consult, and mentor as needed on changes of costumes or accessories and assure those changes are made.
- Research, pattern, drape, cut, construct, teach, and supervise the construction or alteration of all mock ups, costumes and costume accessories; includes supervise the repair, cleaning, and organizing of the wardrobe during the run of each production.
- Supervise the digitization of items related to the Department's costume collection.
- Direct the finding, purchasing, and performing of any modifications (dye, distress, paint, etc.) fabrics, notions and all other materials needed to build costumes and costume accessories.
- Oversee the pulling, fitting, and altering of costumes for rental to outside individuals or organizations.
- Order and maintain all shop equipment, supplies, costume storage areas, and inventory.
- Create costume construction calendar (in conjunction with production stage manager) for all productions.
- Coordinate fitting and work schedules for costume shop between stage managers and actors.
- Consult with Department Chair in any evaluation of staff members affiliated with the costume shop.
- Advise and assist student, faculty, and guest designers with fittings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.