Job DescriptionPost Doctoral Associate
Med-Neurological Surgery - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (21008537)
The Hu Lab in the Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, and UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is seeking two highly motivated and skilled post-doctoral candidates who have a solid background either in biochemistry, cell biology, immunology, neuroscience, and/or cancer biology. The Hu Lab (http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/research/brain-tumor-evolution-therapy-lab; https://www.chp.edu/research/rkmfi/research-labs/hu-lab ) is interested in genetic and epigenetic mechanisms involved in the evolution of brain tumors (Hu et al., Cell, 2016; Wang et al., Cancer Cell, 2017; Ong et al., PNAS, 2017; Chen et al., JCI, 2021). The research directions in the Hu lab include 1) creating various sophisticated models to understand tumor development, progression, and treatment resistance, 2) elucidating cancer-cell-intrinsic signaling communicating with the tumor microenvironment to develop new therapies, 3) illuminating mechanisms governing cancer cell invasion and dissemination in the brain, and 4) exploring molecular mechanisms of how dysregulation of neurodevelopmental processes contributes to neurological disorders. The Hu Lab is funded by NIH/NCI, NIH/NINDS, NIH/NIAID; and the diverse research team is an energetic and motivating environment for scientific growth to adopt an independent career. Candidates will be encouraged to develop their ideas in a fun and collaborative setting.
• Ph.D./MD with a background in biochemistry, cancer genomics, epigenetics, immunology, or cancer biology. Capable of working independently with appropriate supervision on assigned projects as well as in a team.
• Individuals with experience in the tumor microenvironment or brain tumor biology will be given preference.
• Experience in murine cancer models is a plus.
• Experience with bioinformatics and single-cell sequencing is preferred, but not necessary.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with good organizational and analytical abilities.
• Motivated to pursue postdoctoral training required for a future independent academic career.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EOE, including disability/vets
Assignment Category Full-time regular
Required Attachments Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae