Ball State University offers more than 100 online degrees, certificates, and educator licenses, taught by the same faculty who teach on campus. Ball State’s online programs routinely rank among the best in the nation. Our graduate degrees in education, business administration, and nursing – as well as our bachelor’s programs, overall – have earned top spots among online programs by U.S. News & World Report. Additionally, our division was the first-ever recipient of the Quality Matters Certification for Online Learner Support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate with individual, team, and small group projects and efforts that promote best practices in the areas of strategic learning and student success; serve as the office’s technical specialist for online orientation updates and other University supported systems as assigned.
- Create as requested, monitor, troubleshoot, and serve as a resource for all online and distance education courses in Banner; input instructor assignments as requested and follow all FLAC (Faculty Load and Compensation) protocols; communicate with Schedule Specialists, Academic Systems, and Registration personnel. Initiate enhancements to the course management process as new processes and resources become available.
- Assist academic department administrative coordinators and personnel by providing timely Vizi Courseware order reminders each term; obtain a list of confirmed orders when requested and communicate any issues that arise to the appropriate representative.
- Create, maintain, and update relevant database systems and generate administrative reports, spreadsheets, and list of classes; manage EduRisk assessment data and perform semester checks; communicate completion data to relevant advisors, Online and Strategic Learning leadership, and program directors; update training documentation for course creation and disseminate curriculum changes to internal personnel; redirect faculty to the instructional support unit for technical training and support questions.
- Maintain and update the online attribute and necessary restrictions on all relevant online courses; manage undergraduate reserved seating needs each term; report registration to Online and Strategic Learning leadership as requested, and communicate concerns/issues with Schedule Specialists.
- Serve as a resource for student success, using independent judgment and communication to investigate and resolve any issues with the course management and withdrawal processes; operate as an expert in the processing of online total, late, and retroactive withdrawal requests; interpret and apply policy to determine the best possible resolution given all available information.
- Create and monitor off-campus courses and report scheduled offerings to the appropriate off-site coordinators each term; communicate any concerns/issues with the proper Schedule Specialist; coordinate with special population programs involving specialized knowledge of program and student needs including departmental and supportive course requirements.
- Assist students and instructors with information and guidance for registration, drop/withdrawals, process or system issues, course availability, permissions, and late adds.
- Monitor all online and distance education courses to ensure proper coding, reserved seating and maximum course availability to students; communicate concerns with the proper Schedule Specialists and Online and Strategic Learning leadership.
- Initiate, review, and edit correspondence reports, and other student success related material.
- Serve as a secondary support for frontline communications and coverage including phones, inboxes, and chat box.
- Seek and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.