The candidate that fills this position will be assisting in the daily operations of one of the biggest and best flow cytometry cores in the Texas Medical Center. This includes but is not limited to performing quality control and set up of flow cytometers and operating the flow analyzers and sorters for BCM’s staff and students as requested including data acquisition, analysis, and sorting. Training, troubleshooting and consultation for experimental design are also key components of the skill set needed in the core. There is also opportunity to stay up to date in the field by attending courses and conferences.
Uses unique skills in Flow Cytometry and sorting within a research laboratory setting to achieve the research goals of the organizational unit.
- Assists in daily operation of facility including monitoring equipment usage, reagent supply, and recording billing time. Assists in inventory of all reagents and supplies used in the flow cytometry laboratory.
- Performs basic troubleshooting of instrumentation.
- Practices quality control procedures in order to ensure safety when working with possibly biohazardous samples.
- Utilizes a Flow Cytometer for optimum data acquisition, analysis, manipulation, validation, and quality control purposes.
- Processes, analyzes and sorts specimen samples from bone marrow, blood, and various other tissues.
- Analyzes and prepares preliminary data.
- Provides instruction and guidance to researchers and core trained users, including scheduling, analysis and sorting of samples, and basic equipment questions and problems.
- Acquires and constantly maintains current knowledge of scientific research.
- Handles special projects/roles in the core. Familiar with basic lab safety procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care.
- Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective.
- Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve.
- Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention to the employer that you saw this ad on DiversityWork.com