Our Computing, Environmental, Life Sciences (CELS) division at Argonne National Laboratory is looking to add a Systems Administrator to their team.
- The CELS Systems Group's primary mission is to operate a computing environment that facilitates the research that is being carried out within the divisions of the Computing, Environment, and Life Sciences directorate.
- We design, build, and maintain the computing environment, tackle problems, and work with the user community.
- The CELS Systems group also researches the advancement and optimization of Systems.
- As a member of CELS Systems, you will participate in the technical operation and support of the CELS directorate computing infrastructure and high performance computing (HPC) facilities in order to enhance the productivity of the scientiﬁc staff, administrative staff, and research colleagues.
- With technical staff and colleagues at other labs and universities, assists with the coordination of similar systems.
- Special emphasis of this position is to lead efforts in building and maintaining our Linux infrastructure, running and maintaining common services (mailing lists, ﬁle services, data storage and backup, web services), managing virtual machine infrastructure, creating technical documentation for end-users and internal use, and general day-to-day support activities of the Systems Administration group, and develops tools to that end.
While this position supports remote work capability, on-site presence will be required for a portion of the work week.
- Linux systems administration networked ﬁle systems, conﬁguration management software, and scripting/coding languages
- Networking technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols Considerable knowledge of virtualization and container technologies such as VMWare, Docker, or Kubernetes. Additionally, knowledge of other virtualization and cloud technologies such as Singularity., KVM and AWS are beneﬁcial.
- Strong problem-solving and learning skills.
- Skilled in conducting problem triage and communicating with internal customers about potential solutions.
- Familiarity with the hardware and software of mass storage systems and technologies used such as RAID, iSCSI, Fibre Channel.
- Knowledgeable of IT services such as Atlassian suite, Wordpress, and ServiceNow or other ticketing systems.
- Knowledgeable of compiling software packages is desired but not required.
- Knowledgeable of debugging and tracing tools, such as strace, ltrace, and ptrace.
- Strong interest in emerging technologies and applications, and an ability to apply them to the computing environment.
- The level of knowledge and skills required is typically consistent with a candidate possessing a technical foundation in computer science or extensive software experience in an engineering discipline. This is typically equivalent to having a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or computer science
This position can be hired at one of two levels, the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2 Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years or experience, or equivalent
- PT3 Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years or experience, or a Master's Degree and 2 + years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.