The X-Ray Science Beamline Controls group is looking for an electrical engineer with knowledge of machine control to play a leading role in the development, implementation and support of state-of-the-art hardware and software for experimental physics, data acquisition, and data analysis for new Advanced Photon Source Upgrade (APSU) instruments and existing APS instruments. The APSU will provide a 500 times more brightness then today’s APS and the chosen candidate will help ensure that the new and improved experiment instruments take full advantage of this gain. The selected candidate will collaboratively design and develop solutions and provide technical support and consultation in the following areas:
- Input Output Controller (IOC) hardware solutions development to provide state-of-the-art beamline controls
- FPGA design needed for real-time control and high-speed data acquisition systems
- Design and documentation of designs (requirements, specifications, interfaces, and vendor statements of work; participation in procurement decisions; vendor management)
- Evaluation of vendor machine control components especially with regards data acquisition (DAQ) and motion
- Interaction with beamline staff as well as other technical teams to provide design guidance, subject matter expertise and prompt support
- Safe and high-quality execution of work to meet project milestones and performance objectives (cost, scope and schedule)
- Collaboration with the world-wide community to keep controls system up to date
- Improvements in productivity, efficiency, quality, and uniformity
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience, or Master’s and 3+ years, or Doctorate and 0 years.
- Modern programming languages, more specifically fluency in C/C++ and Python and its toolkits
- Experience with modern operating systems like Linux and Windows
- FPGA SoC programming (Xilinx/Verilog preferred)
- Experience with distributed control systems (EPICS is preferred)
- Networked communication standards like TCP/IP, IoT/MQTT, etc...
- Automation/robotics control hardware and software
- Ability to analyze, problem solve, and troubleshoot instruments at the interface between hardware and software
- Experience with version control software toolset (GIT is preferred)
- Experience implementing control and data handling algorithms in hardware (FPGA/ACISC)
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileElectrical/Electronics Engineering 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.