- Transports prepared tissue specimens to the Histology Laboratory and places on the automatic tissue processor.
- Processes specimens, embeds and sections embedded specimens using a microtome.
- Performs routine stains, special stains procedures and enzymehistochemistry stains.
- Mounts, labels and distributes prepared microscope slides to pathologists or to appropriate areas for interpretation.
- Prepares reagents buffers, solutions and stains.
- Replaces reagents and performs daily maintenance on processors.
- Performs tests, data entry of patient and specimen information and collect statistics or review patient information through computer programs.
- Maintains cleanliness and quality of assigned instrumentation and equipment.
- Completes and maintains preventative maintenance and troubleshooting records.
- Repairs instruments/equipment or initiates requests for instrument/equipment repair or service through vendors or Clinical Engineering.
- Sections frozen tissue specimens using the cryostat.
- Files surgical and autopsy blocks as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be ASCP certification eligible in the field of histology.
- Must be American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification eligible in the field of Histology (HT).
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills and the ability to work in stressful time-critical situations during frozen section procedures.
- None required.
- One year preferred.
- Requires manual dexterity and visual acuity when handling specimens, slides and utilizing instrumentation.
- Ability to safely handle potentially infectious patient specimens, carcinogenic substances, odorous and other hazardous materials to which they may be exposed.
- Typical physical demands include ability to sit, stand or walk extensively.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.