1. An equivalent combination of two years of education and related experience in office administration/secretarial work or related field OR;
2. Two years of related experience in office administration/secretarial work, or related field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as office and communications coordinator; includes answer multi-line telephones; transfer calls to appropriate staff member or voicemail as needed; schedule and monitor calendar appointments for a team of staff members; greet incoming visitors; be the first line of communication for International Students and direct them to the appropriate resources to support their persistence and success; recognize and initiate contact with students that may need individual/private meetings to resolve issue/concerns; assist students in Banner to obtain their BSU identification number required for appointments with advisors.
- Provide secretarial and departmental support to assist the Executive Director, Directors and staff members in carrying out their duties and responsibilities; initiate deposits for Bursar’s office; initiate and order business cards, name badges for staff, GA’s, international students and student employees, and other supplies as needed; initiate courier requests as needed; organize various meetings for the Center as requested. Prepare, edit, and disseminate correspondence and other materials, including flyers and campus COMM center announcements about International events, speakers, and opportunities. Schedule events and coordinate details such as room scheduling, catering, speakers, email correspondence, marketing, and other details.
- Distribute office mail; prepare various forms as required for overseas mailings; create courier requests as needed; initiate work orders as needed. Take minutes during meetings and maintain digital records. Stay up to date on training and provide back-up for all digital platforms including Terra Dotta, Banner, SyQuest, Cayeous, and Canvas, and provide support for tracking relevant data within the Center.
- Supervise, orient and train, assign and review work, of student employees and make recommendations in all areas related to supervision, including but not limited to interviewing and selection, discipline, performance evaluations; create and monitor student work schedules to provide adequate coverage for the front desk; review office policies and procedures during orientation; monitor the daily cleaning list; perform review after 30 days of employment to maximize knowledge of office procedures.
- Remain knowledgeable about all support services for International Students and proactive about directing them to the appropriate resources. Provide support for International Student Support Services in tracking responses, providing spreadsheets, contacting students, etc. Communicate effectively with International Student Recruitment, Student Affairs, and Student Academic Advising to identify gaps in international student data or needs and share them with the Executive Director.
- Assist in the facilitation of five orientations during the fiscal year; reserve vans/buses for airport transport; serve as a driver during orientation transporting incoming international students to hotel, housing, and on campus appointments; pick up students at Indianapolis International Airport; assist advisors in checking students into residence halls; prepare name badges for staff and volunteers; coordinate and purchase food for welcoming events.
- Manage passport photo process for passport pictures and international ID cards; stay current on passport picture regulations; train student employees on usage of camera and printing of pictures; collect and deposit money from the proceeds of passport photos.
- Serve as back up travel coordination and schedule for the Rinker Center which includes Administrative team, Study Abroad, Student Services, International Admissions and Recruitment, and Academic Engagement and Global Initiatives; initiate travel authorization, process registration, and prepare travel expense report; review the travel policies and procedures; monitor the approval process and effectively communicate and resolve any concerns.
- Inventory office supplies on a bi-weekly basis; initiate orders to avoid being out of stock on any items; monitor supply closet and keep in orderly manner; utilize the department procurement card to purchase items requested; monitor the inventory of promotional items. Oversee the maintenance of three department copiers; initiate maintenance when needed; order copier supplies when needed.
- Prepare EPAFs (Employee Personnel Action Forms) on student employees for Student Services, International Admissions and Recruitment, Study Abroad and Academic Engagement and Global Initiates unit; monitor and drop employees from payroll once graduated or position ended.
- Manage the reservations for the Phyllis Yuhas room; review the reservation guidelines with clients and potential clients; complete and process the contract prior to the event; schedule a monitor prior to the event; post reservation schedule weekly; review room for set up prior to each meeting reservation. Manage and maintain the inventory of Center keys for offices, furniture, cabinets, etc.; monitor the key check-out request; order keys when necessary. Initiate B450 document to receive and send items from university excess.
- Maintain and monitor department kitchen appliances (refrigerator and dishwasher) and storage closet for cleanliness and orderly condition on a daily basis; conduct inventory and order kitchen supplies as needed; monitor the contents in the cabinets for proper placement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.