At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
Postdoctoral Fellow – Integrated mathematical oncology: agent-based modeling of hematologic cancers
Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute is proud to be Florida’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center located in Tampa. We strive to be the leader in understanding the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Every Team Member of Moffitt focuses on our lasting commitment to our mission: To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.
Applications are sought for the position of Postdoctoral Fellow to work under the supervision of Dr. Jeffrey West on inter-disciplinary projects involving agent-based modeling approaches to understand clonal hematopoiesis and hematologic cancers. We are seeking a talented scientist with a PhD and background in applied mathematics, computational biology or similar discipline to work within the unique, multi-disciplinary, and collaborative environment of the Integrated Mathematical Oncology (IMO) department. IMO participates in various integrative projects with mathematicians, evolutionary biologist, experimentalists, and clinical oncologists to develop analytical and predictive approaches to cancer treatment.
Further details on the type of research being carried out in the West lab can be found here: https://labpages.moffitt.org/westj/.
- Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
- Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
- Clinical, data-driven projects with an opportunity to work closely with oncologists in Malignant Hematology.
- Successful candidate will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Experience in constructing agent-based models of biological systems, with a preference for experience in cancer modeling.
- Good communication skills (oral, written) with publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Creative, independent, and motivated individuals with ability to contribute to team-science projects.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the ability to program (Java/Python/Matlab), visualize, and analyze data.
- Conduct independent scientific research in mathematical and computational modeling.
- Communicate the results of scientific projects clearly (oral, written communication).
- Meet with lab group leader and/or lab members frequently.
- Build collaboration relationships across scientific disciplines to promote a collaborative research environment.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- MD or PhD in applied mathematics, computational biology, or other computational disciplines.
- Should have at least one first author publication.
The IMO is housed within the H. Lee Moffitt Comprehensive Cancer Center which is a modern facility on the University of South Florida Campus that conducts research on various aspects of Cancer Biology with emphasis on translational research. Research environment includes state of the art modern core facilities and access to experimental and clinical data.
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Moffitt Postdocs are provided free employee-only Medical and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave, and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you!
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.