What you'll do:
- Help design and execute molecular biology experiments, including any necessary microscopy and cell assay analyses, with minimal supervision and in collaboration with Lewis lab members
- Develop and validate experimental protocols
- Organize and assist in collaborative efforts with other Lewis Lab members
- Train new lab members on experimental protocols and techniques
- Carry out routine laboratory maintenance and procedures, such as maintaining equipment, supplies, inventory
- General laboratory responsibilities as required, including maintaining budgets and reporting laboratory results
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline is required.
- 2 or more years of direct cell culture experience and sterile technique is required. Advanced education may count towards years of experience.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Proven ability to draft and implement lab protocols is essential
- Experience with laboratory equipment monitoring and maintenance strongly preferred Strong organizational skills are a necessity
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment is strongly preferred Strong work ethic, communication skills and team-player oriented personality is essential Excellent molecular biology skills and dexterity
- Experience with flow cytometry, ELISAs, PCR, or microscopy
- Experience with microfluidics and/or related microfabrication techniques Experience working with induced pluripotent stem cells
- Willingness to work outside of your discipline to accomplish project goals
This is a one year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingAs a collaborative organization, we at the Wyss Institute know that great innovation happens when diverse perspectives come together to solve problems. As a result, we are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness both in and out of the lab. When recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you will bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, and sexual orientation. We believe these differences in background, experience, and perspective enrich our work environment and are essential to our mission of solving complex problems through technology development and translation.
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.