Job DescriptionThe Center for Perioperative Medicine at the Department of Anesthesiology, McGovern Medical School of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston is offering a federally funded, fully supported postdoctoral position. We seek an outstanding scientist to join our team and research the hypoxia response associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD).
AD is a leading health and economic burden in the US, and neuroinflammation is recognized as a major contributor to the disease's complex etiology. However, the molecular modifiers for the neuroinflammatory response remain incompletely understood. Oxygen deprivation triggers a rapid adaptive response called hypoxia that stimulates anaerobic metabolism and angiogenesis to protect the host. A molecular understanding of how hypoxia modifies AD pathogenesis, specifically neuroinflammation, is currently lacking.
The focus of the project is to delineate the hypoxia response associated with major AD pathologies in mouse models, with the aim of illuminating the function of hypoxia-inducible factors (HIFs) in neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration. HIFs are the master regulators of the hypoxia response, and their role in AD pathogenesis is poorly understood.
This project will be led jointly by two established principal investigators, Dr. Wei Cao and Dr. Holger Eltzschig. Dr. Cao's laboratory studies the molecular underpinning of inflammatory events associated with AD-related conditions, while Dr. Eltzschig's laboratory investigates endogenous adaptive pathways that are under the control of HIFs in various diseases. Visit https://med.uth.edu/anesthesiology/2022/11/08/wei-cao-phd/ and https://med.uth.edu/anesthesiology/2022/11/08/holger-eltzschig-md-phd/ for more details.
We encourage motivated candidates with in-depth training and knowledge in neuroscience, molecular biology, and/or immunology to apply. Previous experience with biochemistry, confocal microscopy, and/or in vivo disease modeling is a plus.
• Initiate, conduct, and lead research projects based on sound and innovative scientific hypotheses.
• Develop technical expertise in areas such as genetic animal models, recombinant viral vectors, confocal imaging, molecular biology, and multiomics analysis.
• Plan, direct, and conduct specialized and advanced research experiments; establish new research protocols and procedures; and evaluate and analyze data.
• Summarize the research findings and write and publish the results in research journals.
• Responsible for laboratory operations in a team environment.
• Participate in educational events such as journal clubs and research presentations in both formal and informal settings on a regular basis.
• Collaborate with investigators outside the lab and main effective communication
• Education: MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science,
• No experience required
How to apply
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your CV, a cover letter outlining your research experience and interests, and contact information for three references to Dr. Wei Cao ([email protected] ) and Dr. Holger Eltzschig ([email protected] ).