Job DescriptionJob Description
The Business Operations Coordinator provides support for the business and financial operations of the Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer (EVPCOO) and various departments that report to the EVPCOO senior management area.
This position is responsible for day-to-day administrative and fiscal transactions including, but not limited to, travel reimbursements, purchasing, reconciliations, budget monitoring, record retention, key control, personnel, and fixed asset management. The Business Operations Coordinator ensures compliance with relevant university and foundation policies and procedures. The Business Operations Coordinator serves the department in the advancement of strategic goals and initiatives by providing independent and objective analyses and recommendations through effective reporting and communication. This role provides the highest level of customer service to all constituents. Additional responsibilities include providing administrative and reception back-up support for and assistance to other staff as necessary and special projects as assigned. The position reports to the Senior Director of Finance and Business Operations and works closely with the department Business Manager.
The Business Operations Coordinator is an integral part of a team that is focused on increasing efficiencies through redesigning existing processes and evaluating opportunities to reimagine service delivery models, implementing new operating framework, and modernizing programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or relevant study; or equivalent level of training/experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting and finance principles and procedures.
• Strong organization skills with strict attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple competing priorities, and adhere to project timelines.
• Experience preparing reconciliations in a complex organization, including experience researching, investigating, analyzing, and evaluating data.
• Experience working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with quickly shifting priorities.
• Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with others.
• Ability to maintain discretion and the highest ethical and professional standards while dealing with confidential information.
• Demonstrated proficiency using software programs including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Adobe Pro, and other financial and data analysis and reporting tools.
• Experience in a financial role in higher education with exposure to fund accounting.
• Knowledge of university policies, procedures, and related systems (for example, HokieMart, Chrome River, FINTRACS, TimeClock Plus, MicroStrategy, Banner Finance, and Banner Foundation).
• Understanding of the budgeting process, main funding sources, and the university’s financial structure.